07 January 2010

Day Seven

WooHoo! We made it a whole week! How are you guys feeling? Are you noticing anything different? I'd love to hear how your first week went. Some things I've experienced and have heard from others is that for the first few days you may experience some negative side effects. Especially if you have been consuming a standard american diet comprised of processed foods, refined sugar and lots of white flour, animal protein and fast foods. A lot of people notice a difference in their, um, digestive abilities. Green Smoothies will clear ya out! But that's a good thing! Some other symptoms include headaches, a bit of nausea, muscle aches, etc. These are short lived and its actually your body trying to rid itself of the toxins that the green smoothies are pulling out of your cells. Keep up the green smoothie habit and these symptoms should go away quickly.

Now, onto today's smoothie. I've been experimenting quite a bit lately so today I went totally minimalist. Into the vita-mix:
  • 1 apple
  • 2 bananas
  • 3 handfuls of spinach
  • 2 cups of rice milk
  • big squirt of flax oil
  • ice

I thought it was a bit bland and my husband didn't care for it at all. The kids haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to add some mixed frozen berries for them and that's how I'll drink my second pint this afternoon. Live and learn!

So, what's with all the rice milk lately? My oldest son has been requesting "milk shake" type smoothies this week and I use rice milk to achieve that texture. I'm currently reading the book "The China Study" and it really has me rethinking the amount of cow's milk we consume. Hopefully soon, I'll get around to making my own, raw almond milk. I can really have some fun with that!

3 comments:

  1. I have to tell you that a friend of mine suggested the following green smoothie to me and I tried it this morning: Choclate-Banana using cocoa powder. Yum-yum. Sawyer requested THIRDS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried your blueberry one from the other day and LOVED it. My hubby did, too. Unfortunately, my blender is dying. I noticed that the one day I didn't have a green smoothie this week, I was exhausted. The first few days, I had a mild head ache--not sure if it was from the smoothies or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this stuff's making me hungry for my 2nd green smoothie this afternoon! EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete